Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 9:15am
Winners Headed to National Competition
With the sound of the starting whistle, hundreds of arrows zipped toward their targets at the annual National Archery in the Schools (NASP) State Championship in Montgomery, Ala., on Thursday, April 7. After the targets were tallied and the trophies awarded, 49 youth archery teams from across Alabama qualified for the NASP national championship in Louisville, Ky., on May 12-14.
Alabama’s archery program is coordinated by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (ADCNR) through partnerships with various schools and supporting organizations in the state. Alabama NASP is an affiliate of the national program and promotes discipline, self-esteem, and life skills for students in grades 4-12.
According to Marisa Futral, NASP coordinator for the ADCNR Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division (WFF), this event is the culmination of nine regional qualifying events.
“Almost 4,000 archers competed in the regional qualifying tournaments, and more than 1,200 of those students shot at the state championship,” Futral said. “I’m thrilled to see that many youth excited about archery and hope they continue in the sport.”
Top Scores in the 2016 NASP State Championship:
TOP OVERALL INDIVIDUALS
FEMALE: Sierra Hillis, Madison County High, Gurley, Ala. (290 of a possible 300 points)
MALE: Chase Roberts, Ashville High School, Ashville, Ala. (294 of a possible 300 points)
HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION
1. Alma Bryant High, Irvington, Ala.
2. Buckhorn High, New Market, Ala.
3. Ashville High, Ashville, Ala.
MIDDLE SCHOOL DIVISION
1. Ashville Middle, Ashville, Ala.
2. Buckhorn Middle, New Market, Ala.
3. Saraland Middle, Saraland, Ala.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DIVISION
1. East Elementary, Cullman, Ala.
2. Dixon Elementary, Irvington, Ala.
3. Gilliard Elementary, Mobile, Ala.
INDIVIDUAL HIGH SCHOOL FEMALES
1. Sierra Hillis, Madison County High
2. Alyssa Taylor, Buckhorn High
3. Laura Barton, Ashville High
INDIVIDUAL HIGH SCHOOL MALES
1. Chase Roberts, Ashville High
2. Zach Smith, Ashville High
3. Miles Wilson, Alma Bryant High
INDIVIDUAL MIDDLE SCHOOL FEMALES
1. Kelleigh Entrekin, Grand Bay Middle
2. Chloe Wills, Ashville Middle
3. Haley Woodard, Buckhorn Middle
INDIVIDUAL MIDDLE SCHOOL MALES
1. Jabe Burgess, Ashville Middle
2. Rob Chavers, Cotaco Junior High
3. Justin Liveoak, Clanton Middle
INDIVIDUAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FEMALES
1. Haylie Segers, East Elementary
2. Katie Skinner, East Elementary
3. Sade Hurd, Gilliard Elementary
INDIVIDUAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MALES
1. Logan Koger, Madison County Elementary
2. Caden Parrish, Cordova Elementary
3. Isaac Wilson, R.L. Young Elementary
Complete results for the 2016 NASP Alabama State Championship are available at www.nasptournaments.org. To view photos from the event, visit Outdoor Alabama’s Flickr at www.flickr.com/photos/outdooralabama.
The state championship would not be possible without the generous sponsorships of the Alabama Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, Morrell Manufacturing, the Alabama Conservation Enforcement Officers Association, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Academy Sports + Outdoors, and the Alabama Wildlife Federation.
To learn more about Alabama NASP, contact WFF Hunter Education Coordinator Marisa Futral at 800-245-2740 or Marisa.Futral@dcnr.alabama.gov.
The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama’s natural resources through four divisions: Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. To learn more about ADCNR, visit www.outdooralabama.com.