The Alabama Marine Police is now part of the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency. Please contact them at the phone number and email below.
NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 12 YEARS MAY OPERATE ANY MOTORIZED VESSEL (INCLUDES PERSONAL WATERCRAFT, SUCH AS A SEA DOO, WAVERUNNER ETC.) ON ALABAMA"S WATERWAYS.
CERTIFICATION / LICENSE REQUIREMENTS FOR ALABAMA RESIDENTS:
- Must be 12 years old or older to be eligible for a vessel operator's license, but cannot operate alone until the age of 14.
- Operators 12 or 13 years old, after obtaining the vessel operator's license, can only operate if there is someone 21 years old or older on board, who also has a vessel operator's license in possession, and is seated in a position to take immediate control of the vessel if necessary.
- Operators 14 years old or older, after obtaining the vessel operator's license, may legally operate without supervision.
NOTE: The operator certification/license must be in possession at time of operation.
CERTIFICATION / LICENSE REQUIREMENTS FOR NON-RESIDENTS:
- Non-residents 12 years old and older, may operate on Alabama waters up to 45 days per calendar year without having to obtain a vessel operator's license. If operating a vessel for more than 45 days per calendar year, the non-resident must get an Alabama Non-Resident Vessel Operator's License. Non-residents who have obtained a vessel certification or license from their home state, may use that in lieu of the Alabama Non-Resident Vessel Operator's License.
HOWEVER: Non-resident vessel operators 12 or 13 years old, can only operate if there is someone 21 years old or older on board, who either has a valid vessel operator's license in possession or falls under the 45 day exemption period because of non-residency staus, and who is seated in a position to take immediate control of the vessel if necessary.
- Non-residents 14 years old or older, may legally operate without supervision.
How to Obtain Boat Operators Certification/License:
1. Applicant must go to Department of Public Safety Driver’s License Examining Office in county of residence.
2. Make application and pay appropriate fee ($5).
3. Answer medical questions.
4. Successfully complete written/oral exam, or show proof of exemption (boating course certificate of completion or age exemption) .
5. Take proper form to Probate or License Commissioners office to have the “V” class placed on driver’s license
Proof of Age: All minors must furnish a certified copy of their birth certificate, their original social security card, and a certified statement from the superintendent of the school which the person attends containing name, date of birth and address.
Cost of Certification: A one time application fee of $5.00 (five dollars) cash will be charged. There will be a $23.00 (twenty-three dollars) issuance fee for the license.
How To Obtain a Duplicate Boat Operator's Certificate:
Cost per dulplicate is $5.00 payable by cash, certified check or money order.
Send written request to: Alabama Marine Patrol P.O. Box 301451 Montgomery, Al 36130 (Attention: Education Section).
Please contact Katrina Fortson or LIsa Miles at the phone number or email address below to obtain the information you need in order to obtain a duplicate boating certificate.
Make money order, cashiers check, certified check payable to Alabama Marine Patrol.
You may contact Katrina Fortson with the Alabama Marine Patrol at email@example.com (334) 334-517-2938 or 1-800-272-7930 or Lisa Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org, (334) 517-2942 or (800) 272-7930 with questions on certificates or to verify information on certification database.
Exemptions From Examination Requirements:
NOTE: Boating course certificates or motor boat operator’s license must be presented to the license examiner at the time of making application.
Click here for information on personal watercraft.
Additional information can be obtained by contacting the Alabama Marine Patrol Division, Operator Certification Section, P.O. Box 301451, Montgomery, AL 36130, (334) 517-2950. Course information can be obtained by calling (800) 272-7930.