4-H Sportfishing Volunteer Training
Alabama 4-H Sportfishing Leader Training
Alabama 4-H Sportfishing--
Take the bait, reel in the fun, and cast into the future!
It's an activity for everyone--girls, boys, young, old, city folks, and country folks. Participation in 4-H Sportfishing is not limited by skill or physical abilities. The program is open to youth ages 9 to 19.
After learning about fishing and field safety, participants get to practice angling skills and learn more about tackle crafting, people and fish, and aquatic ecology. Along the way, they'll discover the answers to such questions as "Which lure should I use when?" or "Where's the best place in the lake to catch bass? Or bluegill? Or any other kind of fish?"
What can 4-H Sportfishing do for young people and their families? The goals for the program are:
* Practice and develop the life skills of decision making, communicating, leading self and others, planning and organizing, and learning to learn
* Expose participants to the broad array of lifelong activities related to sportfishing
* Strengthen families through lifelong recreational activities
* Understand a variety of fish species
* Use a variety of sportfishing equipment
* Make and repair fishing tackle
* Understand the ecological and social basics of fisheries management
* Fish responsibly
* Develop caring relationships as well as life-long appreciation for sportfishing.
If you are interested in 4-H Sportfishing for your child, contact your County Extension Office. If there is no 4-H Sportfishing club in your community, you and/or other interested parents should contact your local 4-H leader or