! Hunting & Fishing Licenses | Boat Registration Renewal

Where to Hunt

Alabama has over 33 million acres and ranks 30th of all states in land mass.  There are 22.7 million acres of timberland in Alabama accounting for 68% of the total land area in the state.  Much of this timberland is either open to public hunting or by permission from the landowner.   

Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Facilities

The Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries operates and maintains 36
Wildlife Management Areas across Alabama comprising 775,000 acres.  These WMAs range in size from 370 (Autauga CHA) acres to 91,263 (Black Warrior WMA) acres.  Harvest reports for each WMA are available by clicking here.  

Twenty Physically Disabled Hunting Areas make up Alabama's Hunting and Fishing Trail for People with Physical Disabilities.  The trail is a network of public and private recreational sites providing accessible fishing, shooting, and hunting opportunities.  Click here to read more about these unique facilities and the qualifications for using them. 

Forever Wild Land Trust

A large percentage of the land purchased through the Forever Wild Land Trust is open to public hunting.  Many of the properties are in existing Wildlife Management Areas.  Please click here for a list of all Forever Wild properties open to public hunting. 

U. S. Forest Service Properties

The U. S. Forest Service has thousands of acres open to public hunting outside of the Alabama WMA system.  These properties include significant tracts of land on Bankhead National Forest, Conecuh National Forest, Talladega National Forest, and Tuskegee National Forest.  The following website contains information for hunting on National Forests in Alabama.


U. S. Army Corps of Engineers

The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers allows public hunting on several tracts of land along various rivers in Alabama.  Most of these properties are small in size and as a result have more restrictive regulations regarding their use.  All hunters must obtain a free permit from the appropriate US Corps of Engineers office prior to hunting on any of their properties.  

Hunting permits for properties located on the Tenn-Tom waterway in Greene, Pickens, and Sumter counties are available online by clicking here

Hunting permits for the Black Warrior and Tombigbee lakes in Clarke, Greene, Hale, Marengo, and Sumter counties are available by clicking here.  

Hunting permits for the Alabama River properties are issued at the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers office located at 8493 U. S. Hwy 80 West, Hayneville, AL  36040.  The phone number for the office is 334-872-9554.  

Wheeler Wildlife Refuge

Wheeler Wildlife Refuge in north Alabama provides hunters with many opportunities to spend a day afield.  Please visit http://www.fws.gov/wheeler for information about hunting at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge.

Commercial Hunting Lodges

There are many commercial hunting lodges in Alabama that provide exceptional hunting experiences as well as southern hospitality at its finest.  Reservations made with these commercial lodges are made at your own risk and the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources accepts no liability for any linked sites.  We encourage you to check references prior to booking a hunt with any commercial lodge or outfitter.   

The USDA Forest Service, on January 6th, 2012, closed a section of FSR 687 (Bulls Gap Rd.) due to culverts that have collapsed in the Hollins Wildlife Management Area in Clay County.  The closed section of FSR 687 starts at Hwy 7 and is approximately 3/4 of a mile long.  This section of road will be closed until repairs are completed. 




Official Web site of Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
©2008 Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources   |   64 N. Union Street, Suite 468 - Montgomery, Alabama 36130