The Swan Creek WMA Shooting Range range provides shooting opportunities at distances up to 100 yards. There are four ranges (25, 50, 100 yards) located side by side with a divding berm to allow shooters to go down range independently of each other. An area to shoot shotguns at clay targets is located to the north of the 100 yard rifle range. All ranges are wheelchair accessible and have concrete walkways for downrange access to the target lines. The range is closed in late fall and winter during the dates of open duck season.
The range is located west of Highway 31 at 18936 Harris Station Road, Tanner, AL 35671 in Limestone County. Please click on the google map link to view an aerial image of the range location. GPS coordinates for the range are: 34 deg. 40" 51.74" N; 86 deg. 59' 20.97" W. The range is operated by the Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries in cooperation with the Tennessee Valley Authority.
A valid hunting, heritage, fishing, or WMA license is required for all shooting range users between the ages of 16-64. Licenses are easily obtained by visiting the licensing page of this website. Purchasing a license can be done in one of three ways:
1) Online by clicking here
2) By calling 1-888-848-6887
3) Visit a retail vendor in your community
- Range is open during daylight hours only (except by permit).
- No alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Any legal firearm and ammunition, except armor-piercing or tracer, may be used on target range.
- Keep all firearms unloaded and muzzles pointed in a safe direction when not firing. Action on uncased guns shall be open when not on the firing line.
- All persons are to remain behind the shooter while firing is taking place. No firing shall be allowed while anyone is down range.
- All firearms (except as noted below in # 7) shall only be fired from designated stations on the concrete shooting line into the embankment at stationary paper targets. Targets must be placed so shots will impact the embankment no higher than 5’ above ground level at the base of the embankment. Only one person may shoot from each designated location at any given time.
- Shotguns with no. 4 shot or smaller may be fired at moving clay targets on designated clay areas only.
- All used targets, brass, shotgun hulls, and other trash shall be placed in a garbage can, or removed from the range.
- It shall be illegal to violate any posted restriction.