When the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries first began conducting youth hunts on the Fred T. Stimpson WMA, the intended goal was two-fold.
• Provide a quality venue and hunting experience for youth hunters and their mentors and
• Reduce deer densities on the WMA
Those original goals remain in place; however, to improve the program, the Division has modified the hunt date framework and registration process in an effort to increase hunter satisfaction by establishing a first-come first-served on-line registration permitting process to hunt the newly established 15 hunt zones averaging 200 acres in size. While this modification certainly reduces the number of hunters that can participate in a hunt, it dedicates one of the 15 hunt zones, for the sole use of that registered-permitted archery hunter and guest and registered-permitted youth supervisor and youth hunter and their guests for that day.
DEER: (Archery) - Stalk Hunting Hunter's Choice: Oct. 29, Dec. 31, Feb. 4. By limited quota permit only for the specified hunt. Two deer per day - One unantlered deer and one antlered buck. Limited quota permit holders must be properly licensed with a valid hunting license and wildlife management area license. The archery hunt permit holder may have one properly licensed hunting guest on that specified hunt date and in specified zone. The archery hunt permit holder and guest are allowed to hunt.
DEER: (Youth Gun) Stalk Hunting Hunter’s Choice (except spotted fawns): Nov. 12, Nov. 26 and Dec. 17. By limited quota permit only for the specified hunt. Two deer per day - One unantlered deer and one antlered buck. Youth Supervisor permit holder and youth hunter may have one youth guest hunter accompanied by a properly licensed adult 21 years or older or the parent. The permit holder must be 21 years or older or the parent of the youth. The youth and/or youth guest are to hunt under the guidance of the supervising adult on the specified hunt day and in specified zone. Only the youth are allowed to hunt.
SQUIRREL: Oct. 8 and Oct. 22. By limited quota permit only for the specified hunt and zone. Youth permit holder and youth hunter may have up to 4 hunting guests which may consist of 3 youth hunters and an additional supervising adult, 21 years or older or the parent. Hunters are required to hunt together and remain in their assigned zone on their specified hunt date. The squirrel hunt permit holder, youth hunter and guests are allowed to hunt.
• A State Hunting License, Wildlife Management Area (WMA) License and wildlife management area permit are required by all archery deer hunt limited quota permit holders and guests and parents or supervisors assisting youth hunting deer on Fred T. Stimpson Community Hunting Area. The WMA License is not needed for the Squirrel Hunt.
• Youth hunters on youth squirrel and youth deer hunts must be less than 16 years of age. Supervisors must be 21 years old or older, or a parent, and must be properly licensed. Youth must remain within 30 feet of supervisors at all times.
• Statewide antlered buck season bag limit applies to all WMAs and all deer harvested are to be recorded and reported through Gamecheck.
• Administrators of the hunt shall have the right to distribute the hunters and to inspect all vehicles or other equipment while on the areas.
Registration for the archery and youth hunts on Fred T. Stimpson CHA will be on the https://publichunts.dcnr.alabama.gov/ website.
Mandatory Check Station
All squirrel and deer harvested must be recorded at the checking station located at 1415 Stimpson Sanctuary Road, Jackson, AL 36545.
For the Youth Squirrel, Archery Deer and Youth Gun Deer Hunts, registration will be available on a first come - first served sign-up process by following the link above under registration beginning on September 27th. The actual physical hunting permits will be issued to those individuals successfully registered on the day of each hunt from the checking station located on the Fred T. Stimpson CHA beginning at 5:00 a.m. for the deer hunts and 6:00 a.m. for the squirrel hunts.
• The Youth Supervisor Squirrel hunt permit holder and youth hunter are allowed to have up to 4 guests (which may consist of 3 youth hunters and an additional supervising adult, 21 years or older)
• The Archery Deer hunt permit holder must be properly licensed and is allowed to have one properly licensed hunting guest
• The Youth Supervisor Gun Deer hunt permit holder and youth hunter may have one youth hunting guest accompanied by a properly licensed supervising adult 21 years or older.
For the youth squirrel and youth deer hunts, the permit holder must be 21 years or older or the parent. Each hunt will be limited to 15 permits and hunting participants are only allowed to hunt in their selected Zone.
Maps and Scouting
To print a map click here, or obtain a map by writing District V office at 30571 Five Rivers Blvd, Spanish Fort, AL 36527; Phone: 251-626-5474. Include a large, self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Scouting and portable stand placement is permissible the day prior to Youth Gun Deer hunts and Archery Deer hunts only in the hunter’s assigned zone and the day preceding the hunter’s assigned hunt date.
A portion of the area is located in the Tombigbee River floodplain and periodically floods throughout the year. If the Tombigbee River gauge is forecast to be at or above 18 feet on the Leroy gauge (LRYA1) for 7:00 AM on the day of the hunt, some portions of the units along the river will be closed.
For the convenience of the participants, the cancellation will be based on the forecast provided on the following websites: HAMweather River Center or NOAA-National Weather Service. Cancellation notice will be posted on www.outdooralabama.com 48 hours prior to the day of the hunt.