The Cahaba Range will be closed starting Monday February 5 for target replacement and repair. Please check back on this page for re-opening date. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
The Cahaba River WMA Shooting Range range provides shooting opportunities at distances of 25, 50 and 100 yards. A shotgun range for shooting at clay targets is located east of the rifle range and is on the left side of the gravel road as you drive into the rifle range. The rifle range is wheelchair accessible and has a concrete walkway for downrange access to the target line.
Location: Located at 3956 Coalmont Rd., Helena, AL approximately 10 minutes southwest of Helena, Ala. Please click on the google map link to view an aerial image of the range location.
GPS coordinates: 33 deg. 14" 49.00" N 86 deg. 54' 05.37" W.
A valid hunting, heritage, fishing, or WMA license is required for all shooting range users between the ages of 16-64. License information
Purchasing a license can be done in one of three ways:
1) Online by clicking here
2) By calling 1-888-848-6887
3) Visit a retail vendor in your community
- Range hours: Wednesday through Sunday 8-5.
- No alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Any legal firearm and ammunition, except armor-piercing or tracer, may be used on target range.
- Keep all firearms unloaded and muzzles pointed down range when not firing or uncased. Action on uncased guns shall be open when not on the firing line.
- All persons are to remain behind the shooter while firing is taking place. No firing shall be allowed while anyone is down range.
- All firearms (except as noted below in # 7) shall only be fired from designated stations on the concrete shooting line into the embankment at stationary paper targets, self-healing or metal automatic reset targets. Targets must be placed so shots will impact the embankment into the bottom 5’ of the embankment. Only one person may shoot from each designated location at any given time.
- Shotguns with no. 4 shot or smaller may be fired at moving clay targets on designated clay areas only.
- All used targets, brass, shotgun hulls, and other trash shall be placed in a garbage can, or removed from the range.
- It shall be illegal to violate any posted restriction.