Outdoor related activities that may kindle a child’s interest and promote participation in hunting and fishing are a high priority with the Alabama Department of Conservation’s Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. Here are some links to help you find opportunities for youth to gain hunting experience. "Youth" refers to children who have not reached their 16th birthday. At age 16, all hunters must purchase a hunting license.
Hunter Education - If you were born on or after August 1, 1977, you must complete an approved hunter education program before being eligible to hunt. Alabama has two hunter education options: a traditional course with a written test or an Internet course.
Youth Dove Hunting
- ADCNR offers youth dove hunts on several Saturdays in the fall. Pre-registration is required, and all youth must be accompanied by an adult.
Youth Deer Hunting
- Youth hunt days, when only youth may hunt, are offered every year prior to gun deer season. Check seasons for specific dates. Several additional opportunities are available for youth deer hunting.
- Many Wildlife Management Areas offer youth hunt days before the season opens.
- Fred T. Stimpson Community Hunting Area (Clarke Co.) - Limited permits are issued for special youth hunts. Pre-registration is required.
- M. Barnett Lawley Forever Wild Field Trial Area (Hale Co.) - Every year, youth deer hunts are scheduled. Pre-registration is required.
Youth Squirrel Hunting
- Limited permits are issued for youth squirrel hunts on the Fred T. Stimpson Community Hunting Area (Clarke Co.). Pre-registration is required.
Youth Turkey Hunting
- Youth hunting days, when only youth may hunt, are typically the Saturday and Sunday prior to opening of spring turkey season. Check seasons for specific dates.
- Most Wildlife Management Areas that have a turkey season also offer youth hunt days before the spring season opens.
- A partnership with the University of South Alabama Foundation provides a Youth Turkey Hunting Area in Mobile County. Youth turkey hunting is allowed on designated dates each year. Pre-registration is required..
- Fill out and print a "First Gobbler" certificate.
Youth Waterfowl Hunting
- Youth waterfowl days, when only youth may hunt, are typically designated on one day in November and one day in February.
- M. Barnett Lawley Forever Wild Field Trial Area (Hale Co.) - Every year, youth duck hunts are scheduled. Pre-registration is required.
- Several youth trapping workshops are offered in late fall/early winter.