The 25 and 50 yard berms will be closed the first Saturday of each month for a special event. The 100 yard berm will be open to the public and we will have special target backers for those that would like to shoot at closer distances. Thank you for your patience during this event.
The Cahaba River WMA Shooting Range range provides shooting opportunities at distances of 25, 50 and 100 yards. A shotgun range for shooting at clay targets is located east of the rifle range and is on the left side of the gravel road as you drive into the rifle range. The rifle range is wheelchair accessible and has a concrete walkway for downrange access to the target line.
All range users must check in with the Range Officers before using range facilities.
Hours of Operation
Summer Hours (April – September)
- Wednesday - Sunday 8 AM to 6 PM
Winter Hours (October – March)
- Wednesday – Sunday 8 AM to 4 PM
The range is closed Mondays and Tuesdays.
Located at 3956 Coalmont Rd., Helena, AL approximately 10 minutes southwest of Helena, Ala.
GPS coordinates: 33 deg. 14" 49.00" N 86 deg. 54' 05.37" W.
- For Alabama residents, a valid hunting, heritage, fishing, or WMA license is required for all range users between the ages of 16-64.
- For nonresidents, a valid WMA license or non-resident hunting license is required for all range users age 16 or older.
Purchasing a license can be done in one of three ways:
- Online by clicking here
- By calling 1-888-848-6887
- Visit a retail vendor in your community
General Range Regulations/ Rules
- Operational hours will be posted on the Cahaba Range website. License is required of shooting guests 16 to 65 years of age utilizing the facilities.
- Guests under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult while on property.
- No alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Any legal firearm and ammunition (except armor-piercing, tracer or any ammunition considered to be incendiary or explosive) may be used on the range.
- Keep all firearms unloaded and muzzles pointed down range when not firing. Action on uncased guns shall be open when not on the firing line.
- All persons are to remain behind the shooter while firing is taking place. No firing shall be allowed while anyone is down range.
- Firearms must only be fired from designated stations on the concrete shooting line into the embankment at stationary paper targets, self-healing or metal automatic reset targets. The targets must be placed so that shots will not strike flat ground before hitting the backstop and so that the shots will impact the bottom 5’ of the backstop. Only one person may shoot from each designated location at any given time.
- Shotguns with no. 4 shot or smaller may be fired at moving clay targets on designated clay areas only. Shotguns on Rifle/ Pistol range for patterning only.
- All used targets, shotgun hulls, and other trash shall be placed in a garbage can, or removed from the range. All brass shall be placed in barrels designated “Brass Only”.
- It shall be illegal to violate any posted restriction. Violations may result in citation or loss of privileges for 24 hours.
Clay Target Range Rules
- All shooters must register with the range officer at Range House before proceeding to the firing line.
- Single individuals will not be allowed to shoot clay targets without someone to pull for them.
- Shotguns must remain unloaded with the action open until it is time to shoot.
- Shotguns may be loaded only while the shooter is on a firing station with the muzzle pointed down range.
- Shooters are responsible for picking up all of their spent shotgun shells to be placed in garbage barrels or removed from range.
Public Use and General Information
Use of the Cahaba River WMA Shooting Facility is strictly on a first-come, first-serve basis. WFF does not allow commercial use by private entities on any of its public shooting ranges.