The Southside Community Archery Park is a joint effort between the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resource’s Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries, the City of Huntsville/Parks and Recreation, the Archery Trade Association, Madison County Commission and Huntsville Sports Commission.
The facility features a 10-target adult range from 15 to 70 yards, a four-target youth range of 5 to 15 yards, and an elevated platform with four targets from 10-40 yards that provides bowhunters an opportunity to simulate hunting conditions.
The Southside Community Archery Park is located at Southside Park, 15935 Chaney Thompson Rd., Huntsville, Ala., 35803.
- For Alabama residents, a valid hunting, heritage, fishing, or WMA license is required for all range users between the ages of 16-64.
- For nonresidents, a valid WMA license is required for all range users age 16 or older.
Purchasing a license can be done in one of three ways:
- Online by clicking here
- By calling 1-888-848-6887
- Or through an outdoors supply retailer in your area
- The range is open during daylight hours only.
- No alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Arrows may only be nocked onto the bowstring when standing on the shooting line preparing to shoot.
- Shoot only from the shooting line into the designated targets.
- Shooters are allowed to bring and shoot at a paper face placed on an existing target as long as it is removed from the range or placed in a trash receptacle once an individual has finished shooting. Personal targets are not allowed on range.
- Bows must be hung on the bowhanger behind the shooting line when waiting to shoot or while archers are down range retrieving arrows.
- All persons are to remain behind the shooting line while shooting is taking place. No shooting shall be allowed while anyone is down range.
- Arrows from bows of 30 pound draw weight or more may only be shot into the targets on the adult range. Arrows from bows less than 30-pound draw weight may be shot into targets on the youth or adult range.
- Only arrows with field or target points may be used or possessed on range. No broadheads may be possessed on the range.
- All individuals standing on or utilizing the elevated platform must wear a full body harness, including shoulder and leg straps, and attach themselves to the appropriate safety cable with the use of a “D” ring or safety carabiner.
- All used paper target faces and other trash shall be placed in a trash receptacle or removed from the range.