The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources is increasing Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) sampling surveillance efforts in northwest Alabama after deer in nearby Mississippi and Tennessee tested CWD-positive.
The test used to determine the presence of CWD requires a portion of the deer’s brainstem or lymph nodes. The Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (WFF) is asking hunters to submit harvested deer for testing at check stations, freezer drop-off locations, or WFF offices. In all cases, the hunter will receive test results within three to four weeks.
WFF will man check stations at the following dates and locations:
Drop-Off Sampling Locations
Drop-off locations are available to receive deer head samples 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Fayette County Extension Office
650 McConnell Loop
Fayette, Ala., 35555
N 33.7303, W -87.8048
Hunter's Gold Processing
11634 County Rd. 9
Millport, Ala., 35576
N 33.6375, W -88.2313
5658 State Highway 19
Detroit, Ala., 35552
N 34.1298, W -88.1238
715 Newell Rd.
Red Bay, Ala., 35582
N 34.4341, W -88.1126
Florence Frozen Meats
1050 South Court St.
Florence, Ala., 35630
N 34.7901, W -87.6694
17750 US Highway 72
Tuscumbia, Ala., 35674
N 34.7219, W -87.8126
Guntersville Tackle & Outdoor
Guntersville, Ala., 35976
How to Prepare Samples for Drop-Off Sites
- To prepare the sample to be dropped off at one of the self-service locations, hunters must first remove the deer’s head leaving 4-6 inches of neck attached.
- Once it is removed, place the head in the provided plastic bag and tie it closed. For bucks, antlers can be removed at the base of each antler or by removing the skull plate before bagging the head.
- Complete all sections of the Biological Sample Tag and attach it to the bag with a zip tie.
- Remove and retain the bottom receipt portion of the Biological Sample Tag before placing the bagged head in the freezer.
Plastic sample bags, tags, and zip ties are provided at each freezer location.
Sampling at WFF Offices
- Hunters can also have deer sampled at any WFF District Office or at the WFF office in Marengo County.
- When providing samples at WFF offices, hunters can bring a whole deer, field-dressed deer, or just the head from a harvested animal.
- WFF offices are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Hunters should call ahead so a biologist is available to collect the sample.
- The WFF office in Marengo County is located at 1105 Bailey Dr., Demopolis, Ala., 36732, phone number 334-289-8030.