The public is invited to attend a Conservation Expo on Saturday, May 18, 2019, at the Charles D. Kelley Autauga County Wildlife Management Area located at 2119 County Road 57 in Prattville, Ala. The family-friendly event is free to attend and will take place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division (WFF) event is designed to showcase outdoor recreation and conservation opportunities on public lands. Featured activities include archery, shotgun shooting, WMA tours, birdwatching, trapping demonstrations, live birds of prey, cooking demos, educational wildlife displays and more.
“This is a great opportunity for everyone to try a variety of outdoor activities and explore what our public lands have to offer,” said Carrie Threadgill, WFF Nongame Wildlife Program Coordinator and organizer of the event. “Whether you are a seasoned outdoors enthusiast, or you’ve never been hunting or fishing before, there will be something new for you to experience at this event.”
9 a.m. – Morning bird walk
10 a.m. – Dutch oven cooking demonstration
11 a.m. – Wildlife Management Area (WMA) history presentation
12 p.m. – Feral hog trapping demonstration
1 p.m. – Falconry demonstration and possible release of a rehabilitated raptor
Expo Stations, Activities and Exhibitors
- Shooting sports including shotgun and archery
- Educational live animal displays
- Birdwatching and bird feeders
- Gopher tortoise conservation
- Black bear information
- Conservation law enforcement education trailer
- Plant and tree identification
- Fishing instruction
- Trapping demonstration
- WMA tour featuring dove/gamebird management and the benefits of prescribed fire
- Purchase a hunting, fishing, or wildlife heritage license on-site
- Alabama State Parks Division
- Alabama Forestry Commission
- Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- USDA Wildlife Service
In addition to the activities and exhibitors, there will be door prizes for attendees. Water stations, portable toilets and first aid will be available on-site. Food will also be available for purchase from local schools.
For more information about the expo contact Carrie Threadgill at 334-242-3469 or firstname.lastname@example.org.