Since we are all spending more time isolated from others, outdoor recreation is more important than ever. When using a public shooting range, remember to maintain a consistent 6-foot distance from others. Doing so can help avoid the spread of COVID-19. For more information on ADCNR’s COVID-19 response, visit https://www.outdooralabama.com/COVID-19.
The Freedom Hills WMA Shooting range provides shooting opportunities at distances up to 100 yards. The range is wheelchair accessible and has a concrete walkway for downrange access to the target line. The range is open daily except on days of youth and gun deer hunts.
Hours of Operation
The range is open during daylight hours only (except by permit).
The range is located approximately 8 miles south of Cherokee, Ala., on County Road 21 (White Pike Road) in Colbert County.
GPS coordinates for the range are: 34 deg. 39" 4.24" N 87 deg. 59' 39.12" W".
- For Alabama residents, a valid hunting, heritage, fishing, or WMA license is required for all range users between the ages of 16-64.
- For nonresidents, a valid WMA license is required for all range users age 16 or older.
Purchasing a license can be done in one of three ways:
- Online by clicking here
- By calling 1-888-848-6887
- Visit a retail vendor in your community
- Range is open during daylight hours only (except by permit).
- No alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Any legal firearm and ammunition, except armor-piercing or tracer, may be used on target range.
- Keep all firearms unloaded and muzzles pointed down range when not firing or uncased. Action on uncased guns shall be open when not on the firing line.
- All persons are to remain behind the shooter while firing is taking place. No firing shall be allowed while anyone is down range.
- All firearms (except as noted below in # 7) shall only be fired from designated stations on the concrete shooting line into the embankment at stationary paper targets, self-healing or metal automatic reset targets. Targets must be placed so shots will impact the embankment into the bottom 5’ of the embankment. Only one person may shoot from each designated location at any given time.
- Shotguns with no. 4 shot or smaller may be fired at moving clay targets on designated clay areas only.
- All used targets, brass, shotgun hulls, and other trash shall be placed in a garbage can, or removed from the range.
- It shall be illegal to violate any posted restriction.