Since we are all spending more time isolated from others, outdoor recreation is more important than ever. When using a public shooting range, remember to maintain a consistent 6-foot distance from others. Doing so can help avoid the spread of COVID-19. For more information on ADCNR’s COVID-19 response, visit https://www.outdooralabama.com/COVID-19.
The Marengo Public Shooting Range range provides shooting opportunities at distances up to 100 yards. A small concrete pad to shoot shotguns at clay targets is located to the north of the 25 yard pistol range. All ranges are wheelchair accessible and have concrete walkways for downrange access to the target lines.
The range is operated by the Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries in cooperation with the Marengo County Commission.
Hours of Operation
The range is open during daylight hours only (except by permit).
The range is located approximately 5 miles north of Linden on County Road 44 in Marengo County. The physical address is 17366 County Road 44, Linden, Ala.
GPS coordinates for the range are: 32.360 degrees N -87.828 degrees W
- For Alabama residents, a valid hunting, heritage, fishing, or WMA license is required for all range users between the ages of 16-64.
- For nonresidents, a valid WMA license or non-resident hunting license is required for all range users age 16 or older.
Purchasing a license can be done in one of three ways:
- Online by clicking here
- By calling 1-888-848-6887
- Visit a retail vendor in your community
- Range is open during daylight hours only (except by permit).
- No alcoholic beverages allowed.
- Any legal firearm and ammunition, except armor-piercing or tracer, may be used on target range.
- Keep all firearms unloaded and muzzles pointed down range when not firing or uncased. Action on uncased guns shall be open when not on the firing line.
- All persons are to remain behind the shooter while firing is taking place. No firing shall be allowed while anyone is down range.
- All firearms (except as noted below in # 7) shall only be fired from designated stations on the concrete shooting line into the embankment at stationary paper targets, self-healing or metal automatic reset targets. Targets must be placed so shots will impact the embankment into the bottom 5’ of the embankment. Only one person may shoot from each designated location at any given time.
- Shotguns with no. 4 shot or smaller may be fired at moving clay targets on designated clay areas only.
- All used targets, brass, shotgun hulls, and other trash shall be placed in a garbage can, or removed from the range.
- It shall be illegal to violate any posted restriction.