If you’ve ever wanted to go fishing but didn’t know where to begin, here’s a place to start. All it takes is some simple equipment and a few basic pointers, and you can start reeling them in!
Before you go fishing, make sure you purchase a fishing license. There are a few people who are exempt from needing a license.
- Regardless of the date purchased, Alabama licenses expire on August 31.
- Resident freshwater annual – current price through Aug. 31, 2019: $13.55; price changes to $13.85 on Sept. 1, 2019.
- Ages 15 and under - free
- Alabama residents fishing on private waters within their own property – free
- Residency requirements
- Non-resident license details
Licenses are available at various outdoors retailers throughout the state such as Walmart, Academy and Bass Pro Shops. You can also purchase one online using the button below.
KNOW THE RULES
WHERE TO FISH
Alabama offers abundant freshwater fishing opportunities in small lakes, larger reservoirs and streams. Many are probably within a short distance from where you live.
Within those waters are a variety of species, and each of those species has a preferred habitat. Study the preference of the species that you are seeking to catch.
- State Public Fishing Lakes - these 23 small lakes owned and managed by the Department of Conservation are found throughout Alabama.
- Reservoirs - Larger bodies of water in which to fish.
- Rivers and the Mobile-Tensaw Delta - 174,000 miles of streams are found in Alabama.
- Alabama State Parks - Many parks have freshwater fishing opportunities, and Gulf State Park has a saltwater pier and surf fishing available.
- Fishing on Forever Wild properties - Two Forever Wild properties have fishing at specific times of the year.
- Trout fishing - Yes, you can catch rainbow trout in Alabama below Smith Lake Dam!
- Boating access points - A list of boat ramps by location.
SHARPEN YOUR SKILLS
- Basic Fishing (pdf)
- Spring fishing tips for Crappie, Largemouth Bass and Bluegill
- Beginner tips from the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation
- Gear and tackle advice from the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation
- Tips for lake fishing from the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation
- Fishing and aquatic education videos
- Fishing Ethics and Safety
FISHING WITH KIDS